Updated: September 11, 2018 3:59:20 PM
Type: Potentially Unwanted App
Infection Length: Varies
Risk Impact: Low
Systems Affected: Mac
OSX.AMCleaner is a potentially unwanted application that gives misleading information about issues on the computer.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version August 19, 2018 revision 023
- Latest Rapid Release version November 12, 2019 revision 004
- Initial Daily Certified version August 20, 2018 revision 002
- Latest Daily Certified version December 19, 2019 revision 021
- Initial Weekly Certified release date August 22, 2018
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Once executed, the application creates the following file:
- /Applications/Mac Mechanics.app
The application performs a scan and displays misleading information about issues on the computer.
The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products for Mac.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan and repair or delete all the files detected.
1. To update the virus definitions
To obtain the most recent virus definitions run LiveUpdate: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers regularly. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate) .
2. To scan for and delete the infected files
- Start your Norton AntiVirus or Symantec Endpoint Protection for Mac program and make sure that it is configured to scan all files.
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected, click Repair (if available) or Delete.