Updated: November 29, 2017 1:20:54 PM
Type: Misleading Application
Name: Mac Keeper
Publisher: Mac Keeper
Risk Impact: Low
Systems Affected: Mac
OSX.MacKeeper is a misleading application for macOS that may give exaggerated reports about security issues on your computer.
This misleading application may be silently installed by another program. It may also be manually installed from the Web site.
When the program is executed, it performs a scan and then displays misleading or exaggerated reports of security issues on the computer.
The program then prompts the user to purchase a registered version of the software in order to remove the reported problems.
When the program is installed, it may create the following files:
The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products for Macintosh.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan and repair or delete all the files detected.
1. To update the virus definitions
To obtain the most recent virus definitions run LiveUpdate: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers regularly. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate) .
2. To scan for and delete the infected files
- Start your Norton AntiVirus or Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh program and make sure that it is configured to scan all files.
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected, click Repair (if available) or Delete.