Updated: April 27, 2016 1:15:54 PM
Type: Potentially Unwanted App
Infection Length: Varies
Name: Advance Mac Cleaner
Publisher: Advance Mac Cleaner
Risk Impact: Low
Systems Affected: Mac
PUA.Advmaccleaner is a potentially unwanted application that displays misleading information about the computer's performance. It then asks the user to pay to fix the issues.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version April 27, 2016
- Latest Rapid Release version November 14, 2019 revision 023
- Initial Daily Certified version April 27, 2016
- Latest Daily Certified version December 19, 2019 revision 021
- Initial Weekly Certified release date April 27, 2016
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Once executed, the application creates the following file:
- [PATH TO PUA]/amc_msite.pkg
The application will then perform a scan of the computer.
The application displays a list of software and system issues, and displays misleading information about how the issues affect the computer's performance.
If the user chooses to fix the issues, the application opens a web page on the computer which asks the user to pay to get the full version.
The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products for Macintosh.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan and repair or delete all the files detected.
1. To update the virus definitions
To obtain the most recent virus definitions run LiveUpdate: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers regularly. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate) .
2. To scan for and delete the infected files
- Start your Norton AntiVirus or Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh program and make sure that it is configured to scan all files.
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected, click Repair (if available) or Delete.