Updated: October 21, 2015 2:19:35 PM
Type: Potentially Unwanted App
Risk Impact: Low
Systems Affected: Mac
OSX.CnetDownloader is a potentially unwanted application that changes the default search engine and bundles other software with legitimate downloads.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version October 21, 2015
- Latest Rapid Release version December 28, 2017 revision 001
- Initial Daily Certified version October 21, 2015
- Latest Daily Certified version December 28, 2017 revision 008
- Initial Weekly Certified release date October 21, 2015
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
The program must be downloaded and installed manually.
When the program is installed, it creates the following files:
- /Volumes/Download Installer/Download.com Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Download.com Installer
The program is a download manager for third-party applications.
The program may also perform the following actions:
- Install Searchme extension to Safari without permission
- Change default home page and search engine to Yahoo without user consent
- Bundle potentially unwanted apps with legitimate software downloads
The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products for Macintosh.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan and repair or delete all the files detected.
1. To update the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
- Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
- Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response website and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).
2. To scan for and delete the infected files
- Start your Norton AntiVirus or Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh program and make sure that it is configured to scan all files.
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected, click Repair (if available) or Delete.